Wednesday 11 March 2015

The great charity cake extravaganza

There are very few people here in the west who readily turn down cake. Such people are often treated with either suspicion (if they say they simply don't like it) or sympathy (if they're on a diet). I don't believe in diets, but I do believe - heartily - in cake.

To this end, I spent last weekend baking a selection of treats for my colleagues and concocting 10 reasons why they should ignore any form of self deprivation in order to support a good cause. Consequently the large stack of cakes and biscuits I left in the orange room (a lunch room painted bright orange where cake is habitually left) disappeared fairly rapidly over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures when the tins we full, however I did get some snaps before the contents vanished completely. Here's what I baked:


Lemon & poppy seed cakes. These went fastest of all.


Gingerbread men with varying chocolate trouser patterns. I even gave one Y-fronts. 


Coconut and choc chip cakes made with a little coconut oil for extra moistness.


Shortbread topped with cream (whipped by my own fair hand) and a raspberry.

Being totally clever and resourceful, I also supplied plastic bags so people could take goodies home to their families. I believe I was responsible for more than one hyperactive child on Monday night.

Kind-hearted bunch that they are, my colleagues ate their way to £35.69 (bear in mind we're a pretty small team), bringing my overall total to £350. Huzzah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment