Saturday 28 February 2015

Becoming a fashion icon

It's been a few weeks since I last posted, but don't despair dear reader, for I have not been idle.

The truth is things have been fairly hectic one way or another, but somehow between doing my day job, celebrating my dad's 60th (happy birthday Poppa C!) and having some very important team building exercises (pub lunches), I have managed to obtain new gear and more donations, and begin my training for the trek.

There comes a time in every girl's life when she
has to decide whether or not to join that hip hop
dance troupe. I reckon I'm in.
Waterproof trousers should be S/S 2015's must-have

Last week my job took me to the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show. After a long Monday building up our exhibition stand (and those of 20 odd attending campsites - yes, my guns are now rock hard(!)), I decided to have a snoop about on the Tuesday for some kit for the trek. Half an hour on the outdoor clothing stand and some advice from a very helpful chap later, I was the proud owner of 2 pairs of hiking socks, a pair of lightweight trekking trousers and - get this - some waterproof trousers.

I don't know if you've ever seen a pair of these badboys, but women of Britain, I can tell you now that these are a fashion essential with their total lack of shape, tasteful elastic ankle cuffs and rustling anorak material. Still not convinced? What if I told you the pockets are so large that I can basically fit a zebra in each one. HOT.





The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere

Luckily something a bit more exciting turned up today - a T-shirt from Mind (which I will be wearing at every possible opportunity so be warned) and my collection tin (which I will be shaking irritatingly in people's faces for the next 6 months). They arrived in good time for a wine tasting that I shall be holding at my long suffering parents' house at the end of March.

I decided to capitalise on my Majestic training and teach a few old dogs (they're going to kill me) some new tricks - namely how to tell the difference between a Marlborough Sauvignon and a Loire one, and that not all Chardonnay is oaked to within an inch of its life. If all goes well the plan is to repeat said tasting with other groups. Wish me luck.



Getting in step

On Monday I donned my hiking boots and headed out into the Kent countryside for a sunny lunchtime ramble. When I say sunny, what I mean is it was sunny when I left the office. The first half of the route is almost entirely uphill, and just as I got to the mid-point, by the field where the spring lambs will be frolicking in less than a month, over rolled the clouds and down came the rain. And hail. It's worth mentioning at this point that the only waterproof item on my body was my footwear.

I arrived back in the office 20 minutes later looking like I had possibly washed up somewhere inconvenient and had to scramble through hostile undergrowth to get back. Like a pro though, still cheerful. Take that, depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment